Jury shown video at Black Widows trial
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Testimony continues Tuesday in the murder trial of two elderly women accused of killing two homeless men.
Prosecutors ended their 30-minute presentation to the jury Monday with a videotape of the defendants, Olga Rutterschmidt and Helen Golay, talking inside a jail holding cell.
The women are accused of taking out large insurance policies on the men, and killing them in staged hit-and-run accidents.
"Listen to me, why did you make all these (expletive) extra insurances?" Rutterschmidt said in the video.
"You're shutting your ... ," Golay said.
"Karp told me that it (expletive) up the case. Too many you had, there is a limit. You can't do that many," Rutterschmidt said.
"I know that. I know that," Golay said
The DA's Office believes the tape is one of the strongest pieces of evidence in the case, but Defense Attorney Roger Jon Diamond says it proves nothing.
"I don't think it'll have any effect because it just shows the two ladies talking with each other after they were arrested. They do not acknowledge guilt in respect to the murder charges," Diamond said.
Diamond, who represents Golay in the case, told jurors during his opening statements that his client's 40-year-old daughter is the person who ran over one victim. Golay's daughter is not charged in the case.
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 44 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban 16 min ago
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached 25 min ago
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future