2 Oxnard cops accused of sexual assault
OXNARD (KABC) -- Two Oxnard police officers are under investigation Friday morning after being accused of sexual assault and misconduct.
The allegations stem from the alleged 2006 rape of a 12-year-old at a substation.
The Oxnard Police Chief John Crombach said the victim's mother reported the crime, accusing 43-year-old senior officer Martin Polo of the crime. The parents are suing Polo and the city for $10 million.
Click in the Eyewitness News Story Window above to watch Jovana Lara's report from the scene.
His partner Frank Brisslinger, 41, is accused of misconduct and misbehavior while on duty.
Both are on paid leave, but Crombach insists the allegations are being taken seriously.
"We initiated the investigation, we provided that to the D.A. for prosecution, and as these other administrative issues came up, we vigorously investigate those as well, so if there's truly the misconduct as alleged then these people will be held accountable. I can guarantee you that," Crombach said.
Polo is a 20-year veteran in the department.
Meanwhile, the department struggles to overcome what they call a serious black mark.
The 12-year-old girl is reportedly being treated at a Utah hospital for teens with emotional problems.
The D.A.'s Office is expected to make a decision on whether to file criminal charges against Polo within the next 30 to 60 days.
local, jovana lara
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 52 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found 50 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate