X Games star sets new rally jump record
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Nine-time X Games champ Travis Pastrana can now add world record holder to his list of achievements.
The 26-year-old launched a Subaru rally car off the Long Beach Pier and landed on a floating barge. He achieved a distance of 269 feet and beat the record of 171 feet.
"I couldn't have asked for anything more. There was about a 40-foot window where I was going to either brake or die, and I hit right in the middle of that window, and I was very excited about that," said a relieved Pastrana.
After he nailed the landing, Pastrana celebetrated before the thousands of fans who gathered to watch the waterfront stunt. Then he thrilled the audience once again with a back flip into the harbor.
"It was pretty cool because it looked like it was a little out of control, but he looked good. We really liked the back flip at the end," said a fan
Pastrana's stunt at the Red Bull New Year's No Limit was designed to mimic dirt jumps. The X Games gold medalist traveled 92 miles per hour in order to clear the water. Spectators were impressed with the speed and precision.
"He's a dare devil. I look up to him, and he's an amazing guy," said a fan.
"It was crazy. He floated in the air for so long. It was awesome," said another fan.
"If I didn't think it was going to work, I wouldn't have been in the car to start with, but it did, and I was very excited. So, I feel sorry for my mom. I put the family through a lot of stress, but they're used to it by now," said Pastrana.
Pastrana and his friends are glad to be celebrating New Year's Eve partying instead of being at a hospital.
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 23 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 34 min ago
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 33 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 27 min ago
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah MacKay
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler