9/11 Stair Climb Memorial Preview
With the ten year anniversary of the September 11 attacks right around the corner, one local girl is putting together a 9/11 memorial right here in Northwest Ohio. It's an effort to honor and remember, the 343 firefighters who gave their lives on that tragic day. Ashley Munger is following in her father's footsteps, as a volunteer firefighter.
Munger says, "I watched him go on so many fire calls. It's kind of exciting to hear the tones and watch the lights and sirens and I was like dude that's cool I want to do that."
So Munger joined the Greensprings Junior Volunteer Fire Department. Although she's still too young to put out the fires, she says she loves being a part of the brotherhood.
Munger says, "just the adrenaline pumping, hanging out with everyone. When that tone drops it's like okay I'm ready to go, let's go do this. It's so much fun."
While at a firefighter's convention, she took part in a 9/11 memorial stair climb. It's a tribute to remember firefighters, who lost their lives as a result of the attacks on September 11, 2001. Participants climb more than 2,500, while carrying a photograph of a fallen firefighter.
Munger says, "it is hard to do to climb all 110 flights of stairs ,but just to go through and feel what everyone else felt that day, it's a lot."
Even though Munger was only four during the attacks on 9-11, she says she wants to bring the event to Northwest Ohio. With the help of her mother and The Mud Hens organization, hundreds will climb in remembrance.
Kim Snyder says, "we're using this not only as a time to remember, but to motivate everybody. We don't want to let these guys think we forgot about them. We want the brotherhood to know we're there to support them."
Money raised will go to The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. It helps surviving family members and coworkers of the 343 firefighters killed on 9/11.
Snyder says, "it helps them get through the hard times too, it's a big deal."
Munger adds, "we want to honor your son, your brother, your father. We're still here and we still remember you."
The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb will take place on September 4, 2011, at Fifth-Third Field.
To register for the event, visit www.firehero.org
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 3 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire 56 min ago
- 289 missing, 7 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 21 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 27 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Kansas Jewish center reopens after shooting 4 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break