9/11 Stair Climb Memorial Preview
With the ten year anniversary of the September 11 attacks right around the corner, one local girl is putting together a 9/11 memorial right here in Northwest Ohio. It's an effort to honor and remember, the 343 firefighters who gave their lives on that tragic day. Ashley Munger is following in her father's footsteps, as a volunteer firefighter.
Munger says, "I watched him go on so many fire calls. It's kind of exciting to hear the tones and watch the lights and sirens and I was like dude that's cool I want to do that."
So Munger joined the Greensprings Junior Volunteer Fire Department. Although she's still too young to put out the fires, she says she loves being a part of the brotherhood.
Munger says, "just the adrenaline pumping, hanging out with everyone. When that tone drops it's like okay I'm ready to go, let's go do this. It's so much fun."
While at a firefighter's convention, she took part in a 9/11 memorial stair climb. It's a tribute to remember firefighters, who lost their lives as a result of the attacks on September 11, 2001. Participants climb more than 2,500, while carrying a photograph of a fallen firefighter.
Munger says, "it is hard to do to climb all 110 flights of stairs ,but just to go through and feel what everyone else felt that day, it's a lot."
Even though Munger was only four during the attacks on 9-11, she says she wants to bring the event to Northwest Ohio. With the help of her mother and The Mud Hens organization, hundreds will climb in remembrance.
Kim Snyder says, "we're using this not only as a time to remember, but to motivate everybody. We don't want to let these guys think we forgot about them. We want the brotherhood to know we're there to support them."
Money raised will go to The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. It helps surviving family members and coworkers of the 343 firefighters killed on 9/11.
Snyder says, "it helps them get through the hard times too, it's a big deal."
Munger adds, "we want to honor your son, your brother, your father. We're still here and we still remember you."
The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb will take place on September 4, 2011, at Fifth-Third Field.
To register for the event, visit www.firehero.org
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 45 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months