Local Red Cross volunteers head to East Coast
Toledo, OH -- Hurricane Irene predicted to hit several populated areas along the east coast. The local chapter of the American Red Cross is sending volunteers to help those residents.
Right now more than 200 Red Cross mobile feeding vehicles are heading towards the coast to help. This morning three local volunteers will be right behind them. Bob Custer from Pemberville and Rose Koch from Adrian will head out today and drive to a Maryland staging area. From there, they will go to different areas affected by the storm.
Another volunteer, Kim Lemke, will fly to New York to support staffing efforts for this response. This is predicted to be the largest storm to hit the east coast in more than 70 years. The Red Cross has already opened shelters in North Carolina where state evacuation orders are in effect.
If you would like to help the Red Cross you can text "redcross" to 90999 to donate $10. You can call 1-800-red-cross or visit their website redcrosstoledo.org.
The Red Cross says Irene may also have a big effect on the nation's already low blood supply. So the agency is putting out the call to all eligible donors to give blood before Irene makes landfall to make sure blood is available after the storm.
The Red Cross is also hosting what they call "Disaster College." It's an opportunity for potential volunteers to take training courses to respond in emergency situations. The first class is September 7. To register call 419-329-2533.
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 50 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine 45 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
58 min ago