Local Red Cross volunteers head to East Coast
Toledo, OH -- Hurricane Irene predicted to hit several populated areas along the east coast. The local chapter of the American Red Cross is sending volunteers to help those residents.
Right now more than 200 Red Cross mobile feeding vehicles are heading towards the coast to help. This morning three local volunteers will be right behind them. Bob Custer from Pemberville and Rose Koch from Adrian will head out today and drive to a Maryland staging area. From there, they will go to different areas affected by the storm.
Another volunteer, Kim Lemke, will fly to New York to support staffing efforts for this response. This is predicted to be the largest storm to hit the east coast in more than 70 years. The Red Cross has already opened shelters in North Carolina where state evacuation orders are in effect.
If you would like to help the Red Cross you can text "redcross" to 90999 to donate $10. You can call 1-800-red-cross or visit their website redcrosstoledo.org.
The Red Cross says Irene may also have a big effect on the nation's already low blood supply. So the agency is putting out the call to all eligible donors to give blood before Irene makes landfall to make sure blood is available after the storm.
The Red Cross is also hosting what they call "Disaster College." It's an opportunity for potential volunteers to take training courses to respond in emergency situations. The first class is September 7. To register call 419-329-2533.
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes 39 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke