Family out of town when fire destroys home
Toledo, OH -- A family was out of town, on vacation, when fire destroyed their home.
The blaze broke out around 3:00 Sunday morning on the corner of Prescott and Warren, near downtown Toledo.
Fire ripped through the home, destroying everything in its path. Neighbors say a family of five lived there; a mother, father and three children.
Investigators believe the fire started in the back of the home. 9-year old Toni Manning woke to the commotion. She called her dad, fearing for her neighbors, "I thought my friend was in there. I called my dad and told him, because my friends house was on fire." Her father, Mark Manning says, "She was really scared worrying about her friend."
Fire fighters went inside looking for the family. They didn't find anyone, and eventually it became so dangerous that they were ordered to exit, Willie Williams lives across the street, The whole top of the house was engulfed in blaze. From the front to the back it was burning."
The blaze spread quickly. The back of the home collapsed and one fire fighter was rushed to the hospital. Meantime, fire officials learned the family was out of town, "It was like pins and needles waiting to see if they were alright," says Mark Manning.
But now, the family must return without a home, "It's going to be sad for them. You got everything in your house ruined," says Williams.
At this time, authorities are not sure what started the blaze, but the fire is now under investigation. The fire fighter who was rushed to the hospital has not been identified. Authorities say he was taken as a safety precaution. His injuries are non-life threatening.
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 20 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash 26 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 4 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Cañada Flintridge 51 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 41 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 45 min ago
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 9 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks