TPS starts new K-8 community school model
Toledo's largest school district is back in class. Toledo Public Schools kicked off the 2011-2012 school year with a new model.
The district eliminated all middle schools, making all 41 primary schools grades kindergarten thru 8th grade. The first day of the transformation went smoothly for both parents and students. Jordan Dever is starting first grade at Ottawa River Elementary school, a location that's been part of the K-8 model for the past few years. Dever's parents are excited for him to start school and like the idea of their son staying with his classmates through high school.
"As long as he is happy and comfortable that's all that matters," said Mindie Devers.
Ottawa River elementary Principal Trent Leedy, says having students for 9 years is extremely beneficial for both students and teachers. Leedy says it gives the students a chance to bond in a "family like" atmosphere and teachers have the opportunity to watch the students grow up which encourages core learning.
TPS spent the summer retrofitting classrooms to accommodate for students of all ages. District leaders are making sure every student is comfortable with the new plan by providing sectioned off areas for younger students and separate wings for the junior high aged students. At Ottawa River, the principal says he's seen behavior issues diminish at the junior high level.
"The older kids take care of the younger kids and you don't have the normal 7th and 8th grade rough housing. There is comradery and they [older students] automatically want to be role models," said Leedy.
Kindergarten assessments continue this week. The first day for kindergarten is Friday, September 2nd.
- London attack victim was a serving soldier 10 min ago
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released 20 min ago
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte 2 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised