Toledo girl, 9, home alone when fire breaks out
A family was out of town, on vacation, when fire destroyed their home. The blaze broke out around 3:00 Sunday morning on the corner of Prescott and Warren, near downtown Toledo.
Fire ripped through the home, destroying everything in its path. Neighbors say a family of five lived there; a mother, father and three children.
9-year old Toni Manning woke to the commotion. She called her dad, fearing for her neighbors, "I thought my friend was in there. I called my dad and told him, because my friends house was on fire." Her father, Mark Manning says, "She was really scared worrying about her friend."
Fire fighters went inside looking for the family. They didn't find anyone, and eventually it became so dangerous that they were ordered to exit, Willie Williams lives across the street, The whole top of the house was engulfed in blaze. From the front to the back it was burning."
The blaze spread quickly. Investigators believe the fire started in the back of the home, which collapsed. One fire fighter was rushed to the hospital. Meantime, fire officials learned the family was out of town, "It was like pins and needles waiting to see if they were alright," says Mark Manning.
But now, the family must return without a home, "It's going to be sad for them. You got everything in your house ruined," says Williams.
At this time, authorities are not sure what started the blaze, but the fire is now under investigation. The fire fighter who was rushed to the hospital has not been identified. Authorities say he was taken as a safety precaution. His injuries are non-life threatening.
- Bell corruption trial: Jury reaches verdict 44 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 7 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case 7 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist 20 min ago
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown 30 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies 35 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke