Toledo girl, 9, home alone when fire breaks out
A family was out of town, on vacation, when fire destroyed their home. The blaze broke out around 3:00 Sunday morning on the corner of Prescott and Warren, near downtown Toledo.
Fire ripped through the home, destroying everything in its path. Neighbors say a family of five lived there; a mother, father and three children.
9-year old Toni Manning woke to the commotion. She called her dad, fearing for her neighbors, "I thought my friend was in there. I called my dad and told him, because my friends house was on fire." Her father, Mark Manning says, "She was really scared worrying about her friend."
Fire fighters went inside looking for the family. They didn't find anyone, and eventually it became so dangerous that they were ordered to exit, Willie Williams lives across the street, The whole top of the house was engulfed in blaze. From the front to the back it was burning."
The blaze spread quickly. Investigators believe the fire started in the back of the home, which collapsed. One fire fighter was rushed to the hospital. Meantime, fire officials learned the family was out of town, "It was like pins and needles waiting to see if they were alright," says Mark Manning.
But now, the family must return without a home, "It's going to be sad for them. You got everything in your house ruined," says Williams.
At this time, authorities are not sure what started the blaze, but the fire is now under investigation. The fire fighter who was rushed to the hospital has not been identified. Authorities say he was taken as a safety precaution. His injuries are non-life threatening.
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants