Brand new Beverly Elementary school opens
Hundreds of Toledo students streamed into the brand new Beverly Elementary school building. The modern, energy efficient building is filled with big, bright spaces - and is the only TPS building to be built specifically for the new K-8th curriculum.
Fourth grader Kalie Campbell was one of many students who excited toured their new school to get acquainted with the layout. "It's really nice. It's beautiful! And the part I love about it is there's a stage in the lunch room," she said.
New principal Kathleen Daney led a tour for superintendent Dr. Jerome Pecko and TPS board member Brenda Hill. Dr. Pecko said it was his first tour of the new building, and he was impressed.
Work on the school is still wrapping up: crews spent the weekend fixing up the playground for younger children and landscapers are running sprinklers in hopes of encouraging new grass growth.
Current enrollment at Beverly Elementary is around 680 students, with three classes of each grade, and four kindergarten rooms.
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4 41 min ago
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax 18 min ago
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court 12 min ago
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments