Brand new Beverly Elementary school opens
Hundreds of Toledo students streamed into the brand new Beverly Elementary school building. The modern, energy efficient building is filled with big, bright spaces - and is the only TPS building to be built specifically for the new K-8th curriculum.
Fourth grader Kalie Campbell was one of many students who excited toured their new school to get acquainted with the layout. "It's really nice. It's beautiful! And the part I love about it is there's a stage in the lunch room," she said.
New principal Kathleen Daney led a tour for superintendent Dr. Jerome Pecko and TPS board member Brenda Hill. Dr. Pecko said it was his first tour of the new building, and he was impressed.
Work on the school is still wrapping up: crews spent the weekend fixing up the playground for younger children and landscapers are running sprinklers in hopes of encouraging new grass growth.
Current enrollment at Beverly Elementary is around 680 students, with three classes of each grade, and four kindergarten rooms.
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program 28 min ago
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 58 min ago
- Protestors commemorate Armenian Genocide 13 min ago
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed