Brand new Beverly Elementary school opens
Hundreds of Toledo students streamed into the brand new Beverly Elementary school building. The modern, energy efficient building is filled with big, bright spaces - and is the only TPS building to be built specifically for the new K-8th curriculum.
Fourth grader Kalie Campbell was one of many students who excited toured their new school to get acquainted with the layout. "It's really nice. It's beautiful! And the part I love about it is there's a stage in the lunch room," she said.
New principal Kathleen Daney led a tour for superintendent Dr. Jerome Pecko and TPS board member Brenda Hill. Dr. Pecko said it was his first tour of the new building, and he was impressed.
Work on the school is still wrapping up: crews spent the weekend fixing up the playground for younger children and landscapers are running sprinklers in hopes of encouraging new grass growth.
Current enrollment at Beverly Elementary is around 680 students, with three classes of each grade, and four kindergarten rooms.
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke