LA Women's Health Center to open next month
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With a snip of the ceremonial ribbon, The Los Angeles Center for Women's Health was unveiled. The new state of the art facility has everything under one roof to diagnose and treat health problems women face as they age.
"When you get sick, you don't want to go here and there. This place makes you comfortable," said patient Agnes Schweiger, a breast cancer survivor.
Dr. Dennis Holmes is Schweiger's doctor, and the center's new medical director. He said the center is there to making dealing with health concerns less stressful.
"If you're going to take the day off from work to deal with your own health care concerns, we're gonna meet you half way to make this as easy as possible to complete whatever you need to have done," he said.
Women can have a digital mammogram, their annual exam, their bone density and heart health checked all on one floor of the building. Cardiologist Faye Lee is eager to treat and educate women at risk of developing heart disease.
The facility has an $8.1 million price tag, $5 million of which was donated by Katherine Loker, who died a few years ago.
When the center opens next month, a free shuttle service will be available to patients who live and work downtown. Medicare and most insurance plans will be accepted.
women's health, local, melissa macbride
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics 12 min ago
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer 27 min ago
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 17 min ago
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)