New solar re-charging carport opens in Industry
INDUSTRY, Calif. (KABC) -- Friday was the grand opening of Metrolink's massive new solar re-charging carport in the City of Industry.
This state-of-the-art renewable energy facility is said to be the largest of its kind in Southern California.
The project added solar carports to the existing parking lot, providing electricity directly to the grid and to 64 electrical vehicle-charging stations for commuters.
"The thought was, 'Can we put a solar panel on top of the parking lot and utilize both for commuters and generating renewable electricity?" Industry Mayor Dave Perez said.
According to the mayor, the facility can generate about 2 Megawatts on a sunny day, enough power to run about 1,500 homes.
health, exercise, local
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter