New solar re-charging carport opens in Industry
INDUSTRY, Calif. (KABC) -- Friday was the grand opening of Metrolink's massive new solar re-charging carport in the City of Industry.
This state-of-the-art renewable energy facility is said to be the largest of its kind in Southern California.
The project added solar carports to the existing parking lot, providing electricity directly to the grid and to 64 electrical vehicle-charging stations for commuters.
"The thought was, 'Can we put a solar panel on top of the parking lot and utilize both for commuters and generating renewable electricity?" Industry Mayor Dave Perez said.
According to the mayor, the facility can generate about 2 Megawatts on a sunny day, enough power to run about 1,500 homes.
health, exercise, local
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 34 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate