Inland Empire News
Cherry Valley man arrested for cattle rustling
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Old-fashioned, Wild West cattle rustling is alive in the Inland Empire.
A Cherry Valley man is behind bars, accused of stealing cattle off an Indian reservation and trying to sell them. The suspected cattle rustler was arrested when he tried to sell eight head of cattle at an Ontario stockyard.
"This was cattle that was on the Morongo Indian Reservation," said Riverside County Sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez. "He stole it with some juveniles, then he tried to sell it at an auction in Ontario."
The experienced stockyard personnel called the state branding inspector, who determined the cattle were from the Morongo Tribal Cattlemen's Association.
Steven Seick, 47, from Apple Valley, was arrested and is in custody.
A juvenile accomplice was detained and later released to his parents.
Cases of cattle theft in the Inland Empire are not common, but they do occur.
"We are still a rural county, there are still a lot of farms with cattle, but nobody usually tries to re-sell it," said Gutierrez.
Jeremy Gorham, a stockyard owner, explained that the brand on cattle is like a license plate on a car.
"You kind of get a feel for who has what cattle, and the picture didn't match," said Gorham.
Seick will be arraigned on the cattle rustling charges in a Riverside court.
The total value of the cattle is about $3,600.
The crime is considered a serious one. One hundred years ago, justice was meted out much faster.
"One hundred years ago, this guy, you wouldn't be investigating anything, you would probably go to the morgue instead," said Gorham.
inland empire news, bob banfield
- Covina shooting: 3 injured, including minor 30 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world 56 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found 4 min ago
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Banksy's 'Flower Girl' auctioned off at $209K 49 min ago
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)