Inland Empire News
Kidnapped 9-month-old safe; father arrested
UPLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- A kidnapped 9-month-old boy from Las Vegas is safe after being found in Norwalk on Friday morning, and the child's father has been arrested.
It was the parents of the suspect who ended up turning in their son to authorities.
The kidnapping started in Upland at about midnight Thursday. The baby's parents had been estranged, and recently reconciled for the sake of the baby. But the peace didn't last long.
Police said the husband, 32-year-old Jermaine Rodriguez Suarez, was driving his wife and their baby from Vegas, where they live, to Montebello to visit family when the two got in a fight on the freeway.
Suarez pulled over in Upland, both he and his wife got out of the car, and he allegedly beat his wife unconscious, leaving her in the bushes on the side of the road.
Suarez fled with the child, and an Amber Alert was issued soon after with a description of his vehicle. Police said prior threats had them very concerned for that baby's safety.
"Mr. Suarez had threatened violence against his son in the last few days," said Upland Police Sgt. Cliff Matthews.
Matthews said police contacted members of both families. Police were in contact with the suspect's parents when he called them, saying he wanted to give them the boy.
Suarez called his parents from a Chevron station on Studebaker Road and Alondra Boulevard, where deputies took him into custody immediately.
amber alert, arrest, inland empire news, lisa hernandez
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors