Inland Empire News
Kidnapped 9-month-old safe; father arrested
UPLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- A kidnapped 9-month-old boy from Las Vegas is safe after being found in Norwalk on Friday morning, and the child's father has been arrested.
It was the parents of the suspect who ended up turning in their son to authorities.
The kidnapping started in Upland at about midnight Thursday. The baby's parents had been estranged, and recently reconciled for the sake of the baby. But the peace didn't last long.
Police said the husband, 32-year-old Jermaine Rodriguez Suarez, was driving his wife and their baby from Vegas, where they live, to Montebello to visit family when the two got in a fight on the freeway.
Suarez pulled over in Upland, both he and his wife got out of the car, and he allegedly beat his wife unconscious, leaving her in the bushes on the side of the road.
Suarez fled with the child, and an Amber Alert was issued soon after with a description of his vehicle. Police said prior threats had them very concerned for that baby's safety.
"Mr. Suarez had threatened violence against his son in the last few days," said Upland Police Sgt. Cliff Matthews.
Matthews said police contacted members of both families. Police were in contact with the suspect's parents when he called them, saying he wanted to give them the boy.
Suarez called his parents from a Chevron station on Studebaker Road and Alondra Boulevard, where deputies took him into custody immediately.
amber alert, arrest, inland empire news, lisa hernandez
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling 58 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders 41 min ago
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions