Inland Empire News
Yucaipa cockfight breeding facility raided
YUCAIPA, Calif. (KABC) -- Acting on a tip from the Humane Society of the U.S., authorities have confiscated hundreds of roosters and hens in San Bernardino County. The raid was conducted just outside the city of Yucaipa. It's believed the poultry was being supplied to Mexico.
Authorities made the seizure Tuesday on the 10000 block of Sprig Avenue in the unincorporated area of Yucaipa.
The few neighbors in a rural Yucaipa neighborhood were awakened Tuesday not by roosters at a sprawling chicken farm, but by officials with search warrants.
"Investigators did believe that the property owners were raising, breeding, training and selling these birds to Mexico, where these birds were made to fight in derbies," said San Bernardino County Sheriff's Spokesperson Jodie Miller.
A copy of a Mexican cockfighting magazine outlined the high entry fees and very high prizes for some of the legal events held in Mexico.
Some of these pictures in Yucaipa released by the Humane Society show the chickens -- more than 600, more than 400 of them roosters -- are well cared for and well fed. Officials say evidence supporting their accusation of breeding and training of game birds was seized.
"There have been no arrests," said Miller. "The deputies went to the location yesterday morning. They did not find anyone at home. The persons involved are believed to be out of the country at this time."
The closest neighbor said he was told the birds were just exotic birds.
"You know, I'm not sure what definitions of exotic birds are," said neighbor William Roberts. "I mean, you can buy llamas that are really expensive. So just because they're exotic chickens, I'm not sure what different kinds of exotic chickens there are."
No arrests have been made. The owners of this operation are in Mexico and a caretaker is caring for the hundreds of birds remaining at the location.
Authorities believe that most of the battle fowl raised and trained here are shipped to Mexico. But dealing with illegal cockfighting is a problem for authorities in the United States.
animal news, san bernardino county, inland empire news, bob banfield
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 13 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 24 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 31 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
58 min ago