Inland Empire News
Hit-run driver kills teen, injures another
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A teenage boy was killed and another young person is in critical condition, after the two were hit by a hit-and-run driver in San Bernardino.
Witness said 19-year-old Thomas Meeks and his brother were riding on the same bicycle near 40th Street and Acre Lane around 7 p.m. Friday.
The two apparently turned in front of an oncoming vehicle when they were hit. Witnesses said the driver made no attempt to stop and left the scene of the accident.
Meeks died at the scene.
Friends of the victims witnessed the crash.
"It was just horrible," Manuel Sandoval said. "The car hit them so fast, it all happened so fast."
The vehicle in is described as a 2000 later model white Pontiac or Chrysler with front end damage around the license plate area.
It's unknown how fast the car was going but residents say that most drivers speed on 40th Street.
"It's very bad," resident Denise French said. "People going 60, 70 miles per hour, they don't want to let up the speed."
Anyone with information is being urged to call San Bernardino police at (909) 385-5735.
accident, inland empire news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 3 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 21 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 46 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)