Inland Empire News
Suspect surrenders in stalled molestation cases
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Hesperia man faced a judge Wednesday for the first time on child molestation charges. Authorities say he went to his church and members advised him to turn himself in. There's at least one female victim but there could be several more.
Victorville Police detectives have been investigating a number of cases of molestation of young females as young as 7 years old. There were no suspects, but then Monday afternoon a suspect came to them.
Hesperia resident Andrew Ojeda surrendered to authorities Monday. He was arraigned in Victorville Superior Court Wednesday afternoon.
In the video arraignment, a not-guilty plea was entered on Ojeda's behalf. He'll be represented by a public defender.
A police spokesperson could not discuss the reason the suspect gave for deciding to surrender.
"[The suspect] wanted to talk to deputies about some children that had been molested," said Victorville Police spokesperson Karen Hunt. "There were at least five children that he had information about and the deputies started working with him, did a thorough investigation and were able to locate one child pretty quickly. Found that it did appear there had been molestation going on with her and the person that came into the office was in fact the suspect."
The investigation revealed that the defendant has had inappropriate contact with the young female victims over the past nine years. His bail has been increased to $800,000.
Ojeda's next court appearance will be on March 11.
inland empire news, bob banfield
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- CA proposal: Kill switch for stolen phones?
3 min ago