Inland Empire News
Suspect surrenders in stalled molestation cases
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Hesperia man faced a judge Wednesday for the first time on child molestation charges. Authorities say he went to his church and members advised him to turn himself in. There's at least one female victim but there could be several more.
Victorville Police detectives have been investigating a number of cases of molestation of young females as young as 7 years old. There were no suspects, but then Monday afternoon a suspect came to them.
Hesperia resident Andrew Ojeda surrendered to authorities Monday. He was arraigned in Victorville Superior Court Wednesday afternoon.
In the video arraignment, a not-guilty plea was entered on Ojeda's behalf. He'll be represented by a public defender.
A police spokesperson could not discuss the reason the suspect gave for deciding to surrender.
"[The suspect] wanted to talk to deputies about some children that had been molested," said Victorville Police spokesperson Karen Hunt. "There were at least five children that he had information about and the deputies started working with him, did a thorough investigation and were able to locate one child pretty quickly. Found that it did appear there had been molestation going on with her and the person that came into the office was in fact the suspect."
The investigation revealed that the defendant has had inappropriate contact with the young female victims over the past nine years. His bail has been increased to $800,000.
Ojeda's next court appearance will be on March 11.
inland empire news, bob banfield
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 13 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians