Inland Empire News
'Old Fire' suspect on suicide watch
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A man awaiting prosecution for allegedly setting a deadly wildfire in 2003 is now under suicide watch in a San Bernardino County jail.
Rickie Lee Fowler, 28, is charged with five counts of murder and two counts of arson. An attorney told a judge on Tuesday that Fowler wounded himself in jail and was under suicide watch.
The judge ordered a 72-hour mental health evaluation for Fowler.
The 2003 "Old fire" destroyed 1,000 homes in San Bernardino County and caused five people to die from heart attacks. Fowler confessed to the charges at first, but later recanted and has pleaded not guilty. Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty.
arrest, murder, fire, arson, inland empire news
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 6 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians