Inland Empire News
SoCal students prepare for solar boat race
LAKE SKINNER, Calif. (KABC) -- Students from 16 Southland schools will be harnessing the power of the sun this weekend for a boat race as the eighth annual Solar Cup Competition gets underway on Lake Skinner, near Temecula.
It is the largest solar powered boat competition in the nation. The Students will be sailing their solar powered boats, boats that they spent the past seven months perfecting.
"Not everything is planned out," said Rafael Quededo from Citrus Hill High School. "In engineering we meet new problems and we have to open our minds to new possibilities and meet those new possibilities because we won't expect them. "
This is the 8th annual competition sponsored by the Metropolitan Water District. The boats are going to be graded on speed, maneuverability, safety and effectiveness of the solar panels.
"We have a couple of teams this year that are trying a new engine format. We have a couple of teams that are trying new propellers and new routers to try and get that technical advantage," said Julie Miller from the Metropolitan Water District.
"The router being reversed puts the stream of water closer because the stream opens and goes further away and the closer the router is to our general stream will help it in steering and make it more effective," said Quededo. "Lots of trips to home depot and it's been a great overall experience and I'll definitely remember it for a long time to come and I'll definitely share it with many people as I'm sure the team will as well. "
The actual competition on the water takes place Saturday and Sunday and can be viewed by the public on the shores of Lake Skinner.
inland empire news, bob banfield
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 31 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 42 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 12 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 49 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter