Inland Empire News
I.E. freeway sniper arrested by CHP officers
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspected freeway sniper was taken into custody Thursday after he allegedly tried to strike again in the Inland Empire.
California Highway Patrol officers arrested 40-year-old William Frye of Hesperia after they witnessed him attacking another car Thursday morning on the 15 Freeway through the Cajon Pass. They pulled him over and found a BB gun and several pellets inside his 2003 Toyota Tundra.
The CHP believes Frye would drive the truck from Hesperia and shoot at several cars on the freeway. About 70 cars were attacked since May 6 on the 10, 15, 60, 91, and 215 freeways.
Authorities say Frye works as a subcontractor for a satellite cable company and believe he would attack cars as he drove to various appointments. In most cases, they say he would pull up next to the cars traveling in the fast lane and shoot out their windshields.
No one was hurt in any of the incidents, but several cars were damaged.
"Most of the shots or most of the assaults occurred from the rear and he was using projectiles such as BBs and pellets, etc. We're still collecting evidence," said CHP Capt. Joe Flores. "Most of the vehicles had their rear window shot out, although there were some that had side windows shot out, but those were minimal."
Frye was being interviewed by authorities Thursday afternoon. They're trying to figure out exactly why he was attacking cars on the Inland Empire freeways.
Police found several more BB guns and other evidence linking him to the attacks while searching his home in Hesperia.
Frye was booked and will likely be charged with several counts of assault with a deadly weapon.
freeway, shooting, california highway patrol, san bernardino county, riverside county, inland empire news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected 53 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role