Inland Empire News
I.E. freeway sniper arrested by CHP officers
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspected freeway sniper was taken into custody Thursday after he allegedly tried to strike again in the Inland Empire.
California Highway Patrol officers arrested 40-year-old William Frye of Hesperia after they witnessed him attacking another car Thursday morning on the 15 Freeway through the Cajon Pass. They pulled him over and found a BB gun and several pellets inside his 2003 Toyota Tundra.
The CHP believes Frye would drive the truck from Hesperia and shoot at several cars on the freeway. About 70 cars were attacked since May 6 on the 10, 15, 60, 91, and 215 freeways.
Authorities say Frye works as a subcontractor for a satellite cable company and believe he would attack cars as he drove to various appointments. In most cases, they say he would pull up next to the cars traveling in the fast lane and shoot out their windshields.
No one was hurt in any of the incidents, but several cars were damaged.
"Most of the shots or most of the assaults occurred from the rear and he was using projectiles such as BBs and pellets, etc. We're still collecting evidence," said CHP Capt. Joe Flores. "Most of the vehicles had their rear window shot out, although there were some that had side windows shot out, but those were minimal."
Frye was being interviewed by authorities Thursday afternoon. They're trying to figure out exactly why he was attacking cars on the Inland Empire freeways.
Police found several more BB guns and other evidence linking him to the attacks while searching his home in Hesperia.
Frye was booked and will likely be charged with several counts of assault with a deadly weapon.
freeway, shooting, california highway patrol, san bernardino county, riverside county, inland empire news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 35 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 26 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 31 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
24 min ago