Inland Empire News
Woman killed at Foss Park baseball field
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. homicide investigators are investigating a woman's murder. The victim's body was found shot to death Monday at Foss Park in Perris, just south of the 215 Freeway.
If there are any witnesses out there, police would certainly like to hear from them because there's very little to go on in this case.
As family members and friends grieve the woman's loss, Riverside County Sheriff's detectives are searching for her killer.
A memorial now stands near the Foss Park baseball field in Perris. But exactly what happened to 27-year-old Monica Gutierrez is still very much a mystery. Candles and flowers were placed on the ground not far from the spot where authorities found the body.
Officers from the Perris Police Department responded to reports of an assault with a deadly weapon just before 2 a.m. Monday.
"When they arrived they found a female victim who was suffering from obvious gunshot wounds," said Riverside County Sheriff's Sgt. Joe Borja. "The victim was deceased at the scene."
It's unknown who the call came from. Authorities were still at the scene nearly eight hours afterward, and the entire field was still sealed off with crime tape.
Gutierrez's body was found not far from the dugout at the baseball field, but police know very little about why Gutierrez was out here in the middle of the night. Nor do police know much about who the suspect or suspects might be.
"I wish that were the case but it appears the case is that we don't have a lot of information," said Borja. "If we had some suspect information we'd be more than happy to give it out because it would probably help us out, but at this point we don't."
If you have any information on this case call the Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. at (760) 393-3522.
homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 1 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)