Inland Empire News
Woman killed at Foss Park baseball field
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. homicide investigators are investigating a woman's murder. The victim's body was found shot to death Monday at Foss Park in Perris, just south of the 215 Freeway.
If there are any witnesses out there, police would certainly like to hear from them because there's very little to go on in this case.
As family members and friends grieve the woman's loss, Riverside County Sheriff's detectives are searching for her killer.
A memorial now stands near the Foss Park baseball field in Perris. But exactly what happened to 27-year-old Monica Gutierrez is still very much a mystery. Candles and flowers were placed on the ground not far from the spot where authorities found the body.
Officers from the Perris Police Department responded to reports of an assault with a deadly weapon just before 2 a.m. Monday.
"When they arrived they found a female victim who was suffering from obvious gunshot wounds," said Riverside County Sheriff's Sgt. Joe Borja. "The victim was deceased at the scene."
It's unknown who the call came from. Authorities were still at the scene nearly eight hours afterward, and the entire field was still sealed off with crime tape.
Gutierrez's body was found not far from the dugout at the baseball field, but police know very little about why Gutierrez was out here in the middle of the night. Nor do police know much about who the suspect or suspects might be.
"I wish that were the case but it appears the case is that we don't have a lot of information," said Borja. "If we had some suspect information we'd be more than happy to give it out because it would probably help us out, but at this point we don't."
If you have any information on this case call the Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. at (760) 393-3522.
homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA 27 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013