Inland Empire News
Skydiver missing after jumping in Perris
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Investigators said a Russian tourist boarded a skydiving plane last Saturday and hasn't been seen since.
Officials said 51-year-old Vladimir Frolov is an experienced skydiver with more than 500 jumps under his belt.
Frolov has no family in the area, and he went to Perris Valley Skydiving alone last week.
Authorities said they do not know if the skydiver crashed to the ground or if he landed safely and simply walked away.
Frolov was last seen Sept. 25 when he jumped. His car was still at the airport Thursday with his passport inside. Workers at the airport noticed Frolov's car and reported him missing to the sheriff's department.
The Riverside County Sheriff's Department set up a command post around 7 a.m. Friday, just outside the Perris Valley Airport.
The search is focused on a wooded area about a mile south of the airport. Officers mounted on horseback and rescue helicopters are involved in the search.
Authorities called the skydiver's family in Russia, but no one has heard from him.
The manager at the airport said that most jumps take place from just under 13,000 feet. From there, it's a one-minute free fall. When a skydiver opens the chute, it's another five or six minutes before they come to the ground.
riverside county, missing person, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- El Nino watch: Cycle possible next winter
44 min ago