Inland Empire News
Skydiver missing after jumping in Perris
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Investigators said a Russian tourist boarded a skydiving plane last Saturday and hasn't been seen since.
Officials said 51-year-old Vladimir Frolov is an experienced skydiver with more than 500 jumps under his belt.
Frolov has no family in the area, and he went to Perris Valley Skydiving alone last week.
Authorities said they do not know if the skydiver crashed to the ground or if he landed safely and simply walked away.
Frolov was last seen Sept. 25 when he jumped. His car was still at the airport Thursday with his passport inside. Workers at the airport noticed Frolov's car and reported him missing to the sheriff's department.
The Riverside County Sheriff's Department set up a command post around 7 a.m. Friday, just outside the Perris Valley Airport.
The search is focused on a wooded area about a mile south of the airport. Officers mounted on horseback and rescue helicopters are involved in the search.
Authorities called the skydiver's family in Russia, but no one has heard from him.
The manager at the airport said that most jumps take place from just under 13,000 feet. From there, it's a one-minute free fall. When a skydiver opens the chute, it's another five or six minutes before they come to the ground.
riverside county, missing person, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 26 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena 42 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit 52 min ago
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Longest Rose Parade float goes for test drive
36 min ago