Inland Empire News
Man dies from golf-ball shot to head
CHINO HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A man died nine days after being hit in the head with a golf ball. It happened earlier this month at Los Serranos Country Club in Chino Hills.
At the country club, thousands of golf shots are hit every day, perhaps more than a million each year. It's rare when a golf ball actually hits somebody, and even more rare when someone is killed. But that's exactly what happened to 69-year-old Hiroshi Tango earlier this month.
Course Marshal Nate Brown was one of the first on scene.
"We did what we could for him, but for him to lose his life from that is tough," said Brown.
It happened on the ninth hole on the north course. Apparently the victim was walking ahead of one of his playing partners, who had yet to hit.
"The gentleman was here hitting, and when he was swinging the club and comes around and he hit the ball, but he pulls it to the left, and the gentleman was standing at an angle of the tree," said Brown.
But that golfer was only about 20 yards away. He was walking up the left side of the fairway when the ball came in and hit him right in the back of his head.
"It was an accident and so he had no clue that he would get hit with a golf ball, but it happened," said Brown.
The victim was airlifted to the hospital, but it was too late. He died almost a week and a half later.
Course Manager David Kramer says it's a tragedy, but one that golfers everywhere can learn from.
"Sometimes, I guess, when you're having so much fun you'll lose track of some of the protocols and etiquette, and certainly to put one's self in harm's way by walking forward in front of your group isn't the usual or customary manner of staying with your foursome," said Kramer.
And considering how many golf shots are hit each and every day, it's something course marshals say golfers everywhere should think about.
inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 8 min ago
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case 16 min ago
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
12 min ago