Inland Empire News
IE reserve troops ship off to serve in Iraq
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- More U.S. troops left Southern California for Iraq Tuesday. The last time the Army Reserve unit deployed six years ago, it was for Operation Enduring Freedom. This time it's for Operation New Dawn.
Under a clear desert sky family and friends gathered to bid farewell to the 957th Movement Control Team as they prepare to deploy to Iraq.
"Our soldiers are ready and they're eager to do their job and I know the people that we'll be supporting will also be eager," said Commander Scott Leach
Leach is leaving his post as a San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputy to lead his unit as part of Operation New Dawn.
Once there, the 25-member unit will focus on routing and transporting troops, supplies and equipment.
The call to active duty will be a first for Private First Class Ryan Bradshaw of Mojave.
"I am looking forward to it," said Bradshaw. "Of course I'm a little bit nervous. I've definitely been looking forward to this. This is what I trained to do, so I think it will be good."
But while he is looking forward to work he will be doing, his new fiancee is not looking forward to the long separation ahead.
"I've been there from day one when he signed up until now, and I'll be there when he gets back," said Jill Moore, Bradshaw's fiancee.
This will be Sgt Kristopher Stallard second deployment to the region. He says he will use his prior experience to help his unit get familiar with their new surroundings.
"Our job is roughly the same pretty much every time," said Stallard. "So just trying to be that backbone to them, give them the information regarding what to expect, what to prepare for."
It will be a year before the unit will return home. And before they go, a final call is given.
From here the soldiers will head to Camp Atterbury in Columbus, Indiana, for final training before heading to Iraq.
iraq war, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 27 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 23 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)