Inland Empire News
SB police launch groceries for guns program
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- San Bernardino police launched a new program Thursday to get weapons off the streets.
Guns taken off the streets were on display at the San Bernardino Police Department as examples of the weapons police want the community to voluntarily to turn in as part of a gun buyback, no-questions-asked program.
"We feel very passionate about the idea about being able to get these weapons off the streets so we can have safer holidays and safer times all around," said Lt. Keith Prostler of the SBPD.
The Guns 4 Groceries program is the first of its kind in the city and was made possible with a $10,000 donation from discount grocer Food 4 Less.
"It is the holiday time, we'd like to see a turkey or ham go on the table than someone be injured by a weapon or gun," Prostler said.
The public is invited to turn in both operating and non-operation firearms Saturday at Arrowhead Credit Union Park in exchange for a gift certificate for $50 to Food 4 Less.
The amount doubles for turning in an assault rifle.
The firearms should be unloaded.
The event will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the stadium located at 280 S. E St. in San Bernardino.
"This is completely anonymous," Prostler said. "There will be no names taken, we are not writing down license numbers, we're not talking to anyone about who they are or why they are doing this. We simply want these weapons off the streets."
However, all the guns will be checked to see if they are related to any crimes and any stolen guns will be returned to their proper owners. The rest will be destroyed.
san bernardino county, community activity, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 5 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD 24 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
20 min ago