Inland Empire News
Alligator found guarding marijuana plants worth $1.5M in Hemet
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- A pot bust at a Hemet home yielded more than just marijuana to the surprise of narcotics agents.
A 4-foot-long, 55-pound American alligator was found in a bathing pool, guarding the more than 2,200 marijuana plants -- worth more than $1.5 million.
"If he were to bit somebody, yeah, he could do quite a bit of damage," said Joel Almquist, owner of Forever Wild Exotic Animal Sanctuary in Phelan, Calif.
That may be why the owner, John Nathan Donna, allegedly thought it would be a good idea to keep the pet gator as a sort of watchdog over his crop. The 29-year-old was arrested and charged for cultivation of marijuana and possession, both felonies. He was released Tuesday on $100,000 bail.
Almquist was called in to capture and remove the animal named Wally.
"This one here is absolutely beautiful. He's probably a little too well taken care of. He's absolutely perfect in every way and real mellow," he said of the alligator, which is believed to be about 5 or 6 years old.
It is illegal to own an alligator in California.
"One illegal activity kind of brings on more illegal activity. I've gotten several calls from sheriff's departments, police departments, what not, where there have been cobras in the houses, exotic cats in the houses," recalled Almquist.
Wally will be in the company of 16 other rescued gators. Almquist said keeping in line with the animal's claim to fame, Wally may be given a new name -- Marley for the famous reggae singer Bob Marley.
The alligator will now call Forever Wild is new home. The sanctuary is better known for its stock of exotic and wild cats.
riverside county, animal news, arrest, marijuana growing, marijuana, unbelievable, inland empire news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 17 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 24 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
58 min ago