Inland Empire News
Alligator found guarding marijuana plants worth $1.5M in Hemet
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- A pot bust at a Hemet home yielded more than just marijuana to the surprise of narcotics agents.
A 4-foot-long, 55-pound American alligator was found in a bathing pool, guarding the more than 2,200 marijuana plants -- worth more than $1.5 million.
"If he were to bit somebody, yeah, he could do quite a bit of damage," said Joel Almquist, owner of Forever Wild Exotic Animal Sanctuary in Phelan, Calif.
That may be why the owner, John Nathan Donna, allegedly thought it would be a good idea to keep the pet gator as a sort of watchdog over his crop. The 29-year-old was arrested and charged for cultivation of marijuana and possession, both felonies. He was released Tuesday on $100,000 bail.
Almquist was called in to capture and remove the animal named Wally.
"This one here is absolutely beautiful. He's probably a little too well taken care of. He's absolutely perfect in every way and real mellow," he said of the alligator, which is believed to be about 5 or 6 years old.
It is illegal to own an alligator in California.
"One illegal activity kind of brings on more illegal activity. I've gotten several calls from sheriff's departments, police departments, what not, where there have been cobras in the houses, exotic cats in the houses," recalled Almquist.
Wally will be in the company of 16 other rescued gators. Almquist said keeping in line with the animal's claim to fame, Wally may be given a new name -- Marley for the famous reggae singer Bob Marley.
The alligator will now call Forever Wild is new home. The sanctuary is better known for its stock of exotic and wild cats.
riverside county, animal news, arrest, marijuana growing, marijuana, unbelievable, inland empire news
- Race for Los Angeles mayor too close to call 41 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 47 min ago
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned 19 min ago
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney 51 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10