Inland Empire News
ABC7 reporter Leanne Suter struck by BB gun fire in Fontana
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- ABC7 Eyewitness News reporter Leanne Suter was injured by a pellet fired from a BB gun while covering a story in Fontana on Saturday.
Suter was struck in the hand. She was taken to a hospital for treatment and will be OK.
Suter and a photographer were doing a live report on the weather near Summit Avenue and the 15 Freeway just after 6 p.m. when shots were fired.
Police were called, and with the assistance of a San Bernardino Sheriff's Department helicopter, were able to pinpoint a house that was possibly involved. Arriving officers found several BB guns inside the house.
Police arrested two boys, ages 16 and 17, for assault with a dangerous weapon, which is a felony. They were later released to their parents.
Authorities said they apparently were firing from the home's backyard in the direction where the news van was parked. The news van was hit. Police recovered at least two pellets.
"We are grateful no one was seriously hurt and we are fully cooperating with police in their investigation," said Arnold J. Kleiner, president and general manager of KABC-TV. "Our crews and reporters are very conscious of good safety practices and take proper precautions when on assignment. They could not have anticipated that someone would decide to target them in this way."
The case is being forwarded to the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office to see if charges will be pursued.
Leanne Suter has been with ABC7 since 2003.
san bernardino county, media, inland empire news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 5 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 25 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
35 min ago