Inland Empire News
San Bernardino family mourns soldier killed in Afghanistan
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- In San Bernardino, friends and family are mourning the death of 19-year-old Army Pfc. Carlos Aparicio, who was killed by Afghan insurgents in an improvised explosive device attack.
"He died for what he believed in, he died for us, all of us here," said Aparicio's mother, Connie.
Carlos Aparicio grew up in Fontana and his family says he always had a smile on his face.
He was a standout in wrestling and football in high school, but knew his purpose was to serve his country.
"He always achieved what he wanted to do, but when he told me he wanted to do this, as a mother, I would say 'No, no, no, no," Aparicio said. "He was always positive. As a parent, I was scared sometimes."
She said she has watched enough movies to know that when two soldiers showed up to her door, it couldn't be good.
"It was 6 o'clock in the morning, I looked through the door, what went through my mind was, I knew. I thought if I don't open the door it won't happen," but the she opened the door, she said.
Aparicio leaves behind a fiancée and a family coming together in mourning.
Aparicio will receive the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
"The way we cope with it and believe in it, is he's a great soldier in God's Army and that's his purpose," his mother said.
u.s. troops, san bernardino county, afghanistan war, inland empire news, elex michaelson
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
35 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
30 min ago