Inland Empire News
Dog dragged behind truck expected to recover
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- More is being revealed about a dog seriously injured after being dragged behind a pickup truck.
Despite a near brush with death, the 10-month-old shepherd mix is back on all four paws.
"Is on antibiotics and pain meds and can walk around with the bandages," said Dr. Allen Drusys from Riverside County Animal Shelter. "A little clumsily, but I expect her to make a full recovery."
It is a horrifying case of alleged animal cruelty. On Wednesday night Cheyenne Embree says she saw a pickup truck and dog drive up Peacock Lane past her home.
"When the car went up the street it had the dog in the bed of the truck," said Embree.
Embree said at first she thought nothing of the truck, until she saw it coming down a hill with the dog tethered to the back of it.
"The dog was outside of the truck getting run over by the wheel, under the wheel of the car, and only its two back feet could touch the ground," said Embree.
Embree says she called 911 and followed in her car, honking the horn to alert the driver.
At first it appeared to be an accident. But then Embree says she watched as the driver got out, cut the dog loose, and then sped off.
Neighbors say they are outraged.
"You just wonder what is going through their head when they do something like that," said Riverside resident Lee Lemunyan.
"I think that is horrible, I think it is really bad," said Riverside resident Sandy Marzicola. "I mean animals are helpless, they rely on us and to have someone do that is downright cruel."
The white dog, with no name, will be allowed to heal and recover. Animal control officials say offers for a good home have already been pouring in.
Authorities are searching for the driver of the dark red, older model pickup truck. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Western Riverside Animal Shelter at 951-358-7387.
riverside county, animal news, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Woman tries to reason with London attackers 17 min ago
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Emails show AEG exec called Jackson a 'freak'
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised