Inland Empire News
Dog dragged behind truck expected to recover
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- More is being revealed about a dog seriously injured after being dragged behind a pickup truck.
Despite a near brush with death, the 10-month-old shepherd mix is back on all four paws.
"Is on antibiotics and pain meds and can walk around with the bandages," said Dr. Allen Drusys from Riverside County Animal Shelter. "A little clumsily, but I expect her to make a full recovery."
It is a horrifying case of alleged animal cruelty. On Wednesday night Cheyenne Embree says she saw a pickup truck and dog drive up Peacock Lane past her home.
"When the car went up the street it had the dog in the bed of the truck," said Embree.
Embree said at first she thought nothing of the truck, until she saw it coming down a hill with the dog tethered to the back of it.
"The dog was outside of the truck getting run over by the wheel, under the wheel of the car, and only its two back feet could touch the ground," said Embree.
Embree says she called 911 and followed in her car, honking the horn to alert the driver.
At first it appeared to be an accident. But then Embree says she watched as the driver got out, cut the dog loose, and then sped off.
Neighbors say they are outraged.
"You just wonder what is going through their head when they do something like that," said Riverside resident Lee Lemunyan.
"I think that is horrible, I think it is really bad," said Riverside resident Sandy Marzicola. "I mean animals are helpless, they rely on us and to have someone do that is downright cruel."
The white dog, with no name, will be allowed to heal and recover. Animal control officials say offers for a good home have already been pouring in.
Authorities are searching for the driver of the dark red, older model pickup truck. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Western Riverside Animal Shelter at 951-358-7387.
riverside county, animal news, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 17 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
57 min ago