Inland Empire News
Fallen Rancho Cucamonga soldier laid to rest
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Army National Guardsman from the Inland Empire was laid to rest on Monday. Sgt. Carlo Eugenio of Rancho Cucamonga made the ultimate sacrifice while fighting in Afghanistan.
Family, friends and members of the community gathered to celebrate the 29-year-old's life at St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Church.
Eugenio was killed last month after his NATO convoy that he was leading was hit by a suicide bomber. He is the first California National Guardsman killed as a result of enemy action in Afghanistan.
His remains arrived in Ontario last week from Dover Air Force Base.
Many of his friends said that he will be remembered as a daredevil who loved the outdoors and great adventure.
"It was hard to be in a bad mood around Eugenio," said Sgt. Randy Arambula. "He was always smiling, the big smile that he had. Anybody had any problems, they would just go to him, talk to him, and he would make the gloomy day the brightest day."
"Now you look at him as more than just a soldier, you become like brothers," said Sgt. Daniel Avalos.
Eugenio's remains were escorted to the Riverside National Cemetery where he was laid to rest.
san bernardino county, u.s. troops, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 31 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 10 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 21 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'