Inland Empire News
Vet's family, cemetery at odds over Xmas tree
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Every Sunday, the Bromfield family has arrived at the Riverside National Cemetery to visit the grave of Army Spc. Travis Bromfield.
Bromfield served in Iraq and died of cancer four years ago.
Every December, Terry Bromfield has placed a four-foot high Christmas tree out here for his son.
"Travis and I used to decorate the front of our house every year& and we just felt it was right to continue to decorate for him," Bromfield said.
On Sunday, the family said they were informed that they would no longer be able to decorate with a Christmas tree.
"We had the tree almost completely up, and a security guard came and stopped and he goes, 'Trees aren't allowed," said Bromfield's stepmother, Esther Bromfield.
Administrators say their policy is spelled out clearly in their brochure. It says that during the holiday season, fresh cut flowers and wreathes up to 18 inches are allowed, but that's it.
"We're just trying to maintain the dignity of this national shrine," said Dean Moline, director of the Riverside National Cemetery.
Moline says the policy is there for a reason.
"We have a lot of people placing food and beer cans and open bottles at burial sites," he said. "We remove those."
Still, the Bromfield family feels that not being allowed to put up a tree is disrespectful.
"I don't see what the harm is," Terry Bromfield said. "It's not damaging the grass, it's not damaging anything. But if it's bringing comfort to the families, what's so wrong with it?"
iraq war, christmas, u.s. troops, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 11 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 9 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 36 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 48 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 32 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 15 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
59 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
58 min ago