Inland Empire News
Skydiver dies in accident at Perris Valley Airport
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- A skydiver died in an accident in Perris at the Perris Valley Airport and Parachuting Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities responded to the scene just after 2:30 p.m. Firefighters attempted to perform CPR, but the victim was already in traumatic arrest. The skydiver was declared dead at the scene.
The death marked the sixth skydiving fatality at the location in the past 15 months, authorities said.
Firefighters were called to Perris Valley Skydiving shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday and performed CPR on the man, whose identity was not immediately released.
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian McGregor said the air safety regulator only investigates such deaths to determine if the parachute was packed properly by a certified packer.
More than 150,000 jumps occur at the Perris facility every year.
In April, two skydivers collided in midair, killing Jacob Jensen, 32, of Denmark. The other man survived critical injuries.
In March, two skydivers were killed when their parachutes deflated and they fell 300 feet.
In February, a 41-year-old Australian woman died after failing to open a backup chute.
In September 2010, a 51-year-old Russian man died after a solo jump. The man's body was not found until two months later, by a farmer plowing a field. His parachutes had not been deployed.
There have been 14 deaths at the Perris Valley Airport since 2000.
Jumpers continued to skydive Tuesday following the accident.
City News Service contributed to this report.
riverside county, accident, faa, inland empire news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Viewing held for fallen LAPD motorcycle officer 2 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 48 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
29 min ago