Inland Empire News
Assemblyman Donnelly caught with gun in carryon at airport
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- A California lawmaker is apologizing after getting stopped with a loaded gun in his carryon bag at Ontario International Airport.
Assemblyman Tim Donnelly (R-Twin Peaks) was stopped at a TSA screening point, before boarding a flight to Sacramento.
The TSA called airport police, who found a Colt .45 with four rounds in the bag, along with another magazine holding five rounds.
Donnelly, who is an outspoken gun rights advocate, says he simply forgot the gun was there.
"You hear stories about this and you think, 'What is this person thinking? What kind of an idiot would carry a gun into an airport?' And it was just really a regrettable mistake," said Donnelly.
He said he had it close by because of death threats he has received from a referendum drive he is spearheading to overturn a recent state law that allows illegal immigrant college students to apply for public financial aid. He told reporters at the state Capitol he placed it in the briefcase because he didn't want his wife to see that he had the firearm out.
"So I do tend to always be armed. The issue is strictly one that I completely forgot, coming back to work this morning, that it was in that briefcase," he said.
Donnelly did not respond when reporters asked if he had a concealed weapons permit.
Donnelly was cited and the gun was confiscated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
tsa, california state assembly, inland empire news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 25 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- UCSB meningitis: Fund for amputee student 33 min ago
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi 10 min ago
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 20 min ago
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: Benedict Cumberbatch recites R. Kelly lyrics