Inland Empire News
Home alone, girl keeps cool during burglary
HESPERIA, Calif. (KABC) -- A teenage girl kept her cool when two burglars broke into her Hesperia home Friday morning, resulting in the intruders' arrests.
The 14-year-old girl, who wished to remain anonymous, spoke exclusive to Eyewitness News about the frightening moments.
The high school freshman was home alone when a stranger pounded on the door. She didn't answer, and the next thing she knew, the door broke open.
"I didn't know if it was real or if I was just imagining it," the girl said.
She said she went into her bedroom, dialed 911 on her cellphone and hid behind a futon.
"I pulled up my blanket so they couldn't see me," she said, "and the whole time I was on the phone with 911."
The two burglars ransacked the home. Among the items stolen were jewelry and electronics.
The teen feared she'd be discovered when one of them entered the room she was in.
"I just tried to stay calm because if I cry or if I panic or hyperventilate, it's not going to do any good for me," she said.
The burglars left just as police were arriving. They led officers on a high-speed chase on three freeways before they crashed.
Two suspects were arrested.
The girl's parents said they're relived and proud of their daughter.
"The fact that she remained so calm, I can't expect a 14 year old to do that," said the girl's mother, Sonia.
Authorities recovered the family's stolen property from the suspects' van. They said they also found evidence linking them to another residential burglary.
arrest, burglary, inland empire news
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film