Inland Empire News
Home alone, girl keeps cool during burglary
HESPERIA, Calif. (KABC) -- A teenage girl kept her cool when two burglars broke into her Hesperia home Friday morning, resulting in the intruders' arrests.
The 14-year-old girl, who wished to remain anonymous, spoke exclusive to Eyewitness News about the frightening moments.
The high school freshman was home alone when a stranger pounded on the door. She didn't answer, and the next thing she knew, the door broke open.
"I didn't know if it was real or if I was just imagining it," the girl said.
She said she went into her bedroom, dialed 911 on her cellphone and hid behind a futon.
"I pulled up my blanket so they couldn't see me," she said, "and the whole time I was on the phone with 911."
The two burglars ransacked the home. Among the items stolen were jewelry and electronics.
The teen feared she'd be discovered when one of them entered the room she was in.
"I just tried to stay calm because if I cry or if I panic or hyperventilate, it's not going to do any good for me," she said.
The burglars left just as police were arriving. They led officers on a high-speed chase on three freeways before they crashed.
Two suspects were arrested.
The girl's parents said they're relived and proud of their daughter.
"The fact that she remained so calm, I can't expect a 14 year old to do that," said the girl's mother, Sonia.
Authorities recovered the family's stolen property from the suspects' van. They said they also found evidence linking them to another residential burglary.
arrest, burglary, inland empire news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 8 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 41 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour