Inland Empire News
UC Riverside students propose new tuition payment plan
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Students at the University of California at Riverside have come up with a new tuition plan they say will help students get the education they need and the university get the money to pay for that education.
The plan calls for eliminating college costs while the student attends, but then having working graduates pay 5 percent of their salary back to the system for 20 years.
"Charging students when they're making money just makes sense," said Chris LoCascio, president of Fix UC, the group proposing the elimination of tuition and student loans. "It's really surprising to me that this hasn't been pursued, at least here in the United States."
Since 2001, the cost to attend a UC has quadrupled.
The outcry over the rising cost of a public education has prompted statewide protests against the UC Board of Regents, which must approve the fee increases.
"Tuition is such a stress and a burden on UC students right now. Having a job - two - three jobs plus a full load of classes it's just too much for a student," said Elaina Amos, a sociology student at UCR.
The UC Board of Regents will be meeting this week to discuss another 3 to 5 percent tuition hike.
For cash strapped students, the possibility of paying for their education later rather than now is getting their attention.
"I think that is a great idea," said student Justin Bui of Los Angeles. "I think it would be good because that way you don't have to worry about it. You can get your education done, get into the work force."
A rally will be held at the Highlander Union Building ahead of Wednesday's meeting. That's when organizers say they plan on presenting the proposal to the Board of Regents.
education, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 49 min ago
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 52 min ago
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk 18 min ago
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 20 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 11 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'