Inland Empire News
San Bernardino hit-run critically injures teen skateboarder
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- The motorcyclist behind a hit and run accident that critically injured a teenage girl near the intersection of 31st and E streets in San Bernardino Tuesday night is being sought.
Police said around 7:30 p.m., the 17-year-old girl was trying to cross at E and 31st streets on her skateboard. As soon as she stepped off the curb, she was struck by a motorcycle travelling northbound at a high rate of speed. Detectives said the motorcyclist sped off and hasn't been seen since.
As of Wednesday evening, the victim was in a medically-induced coma.
Valentina Hernandez said it happened just down the street from her home.
"It's just really sad, I mean, I pray for this family," Fernandez said.
She was inside her home at the time of the accident and she went outside when she heard the paramedics arrive.
"There was a car that was parked right in front of her so that way nobody would hit her, because she was right in the middle of the street," she said. "And it looked like paramedics were doing CPR on her, it was really sad."
Hernandez said she sees close-calls quite often along the street.
"My kids go up and down the street, they go to the school, they go to the store...these people don't care," Hernandez said.
Other residents agree.
"People drive like maniacs right here, and the cops, they stop them and stuff, but it doesn't seem to do anything," said San Bernardino resident Salvador Garcia.
There is no marked crosswalk at the street, but because it is an intersection, it is perfectly legal to cross the street.
Police said according to eyewitnesses, the person on the motorcycle was speeding before the crash. But besides that, detectives know very little about the rider's identity.
"We're trying to find the guy, or any information that someone might have that they have heard, seen, friend of a friend, everything helps," said San Bernardino Police Lt. Paul Williams.
The motorcycle is described as a smaller red or black sports bike with a chrome exhaust on the right side and a lowered front end.
Anyone with information is urged to call San Bernardino police at (909) 384-5742.
hit and run, san bernardino county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Wrong-way driver causes 8-car pileup on 14 Fwy
- South LA chase ends with crash, standoff
- Passenger rants about poison, CIA on plane
- West Hills murder suspect caught in motel room
- 911 caller in Pasadena shooting pleads guilty 18 min ago
- Motorcycle fleeing police crashes; 2 dead
- IE man dies after being crushed by cows
- Dog goes missing from Norco grooming shop
- Jimmy Hoffa search: FBI looks at MI field
- abcnews: Victim's grandson welcomes release of killer
- G8 meeting: Divisions over Syrian civil war
- Jackson trial: Former record exec testifies
- Jay-Z's new album 'Magna Carta Holy Grail'
- OTRC: 'Girl Meets World' getting full series
- 'Monsters U' is very funny - Billy Crystal
51 min ago