Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley school board member charged with pimping, rape
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A Moreno Valley Unified School District board member was charged with 11 felonies Wednesday, including rape, pimping and pandering involving six alleged victims. Two of them were underage girls, authorities said.
Mike Luis Rios, 42, was arrested about 6 p.m. near his home on Palm Shadows Drive in Moreno Valley, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
According to investigators, Rios got three women to work for him as prostitutes. One woman and the two girls did not. The identities of the alleged victims were not known.
Rios is charged with six counts of pandering, three counts of pimping and two counts of rape. Authorities said the alleged rape victims were adults.
Investigators said Rios met the girls through Internet ads and offered to let them use his Hummer SUV. For one of the women, he allegedly told her he was a school board member and asked her if she needed a job. Another woman, investigators said, answered an Internet ad for a job.
Reached by phone Wednesday night, Moreno Valley School Board Vice President Cleveland Johnson was reeling after hearing of the charges against Rios.
"I'm shocked to be hearing that one of my colleagues has been arrested again," Johnson said.
Rios is currently involved in a separate criminal case in which he was charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of dissuading a witness. Rios was out on bail.
Authorities said Rios got in an argument that February evening and fired a gun at two people outside his house. Neither alleged victim was hit.
arrest, murder, inland empire news
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers 42 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect 13 min ago
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film