Inland Empire News
Woman, 95, tied up during San Bernardino home invasion
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A 95-year-old woman was tied up in the middle of the night during a home invasion robbery in San Bernardino.
Frances South lived alone. Authorities said she was by herself late Saturday night when a man broke into her house. The intruder placed a bag over her head while he looked for items to steal. She was not hurt. The elderly woman's son, Larry South, said his mother tried to defend herself.
"She went after him with this rolling pin at first. That's why he tied her up. Thank goodness he didn't hurt her," he said.
Larry South said the intruder climbed to the second story and forced his way into the house on the 3000 block of North F Street. The suspect kept the woman tied up for a couple of hours.
"He went through the house pretty good and tried to take whatever he could get, you know, computers, software, jewelry and money," said Larry South.
After the suspect left, Frances South managed to free herself and went to a neighbor's home for help around 3 a.m. Neighbors said they often worry about the elderly woman's safety.
"It makes me mad that I couldn't help her. I would've if I knew something was happening to her," said neighbor Daniel Caudillo.
Larry South drove to San Bernardino from his home in Arizona and packed up his mother's belongings. He said he's not comfortable leaving her alone anymore. Just last week, someone snatched his mother's purse.
"She's going back today. She's done here in California," said Larry Smith.
home invasion, san bernardino county, inland empire news, amy powell
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 51 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 24 min ago
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence 37 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker 58 min ago