Inland Empire News
Beaumont officer indicted for blinding woman with pepper-spray gun in DUI stop
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Beaumont police officer was indicted by a grand jury last Thursday for a use-of-force incident that occurred on Feb. 21. The officer was formally indicted Thursday morning. He pleaded not guilty.
According to the indictment, Officer Enoch Clark was on duty on Feb. 21 and was investigating a possible driving under the influence incident.
Clark was attempting to handcuff a female suspect and an altercation developed between the two. According to the indictment, Clark pulled out a less-than-lethal device issued by the Beaumont Police Department called a JPX.
The JPX uses gunpowder to propel a stream of pepper-spray at a speed of more than 400 mph. The optimum distance to deploy the device is between 6 and 16 feet, with a minimum distance of 5 feet. Clark allegedly deployed the device 10 inches from the woman's face. The woman's eyes were severely injured, and medical reports indicate it is doubtful the woman will see again.
The Beaumont Police Dept. requested an incident investigation by the Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. The results of the investigation were forwarded to the district attorney's office, and the case was brought to a grand jury made up of 19 members of the community.
After reviewing evidence and testimony, the grand jury returned four criminal counts against Clark: assault under the color or authority; assault with a less lethal weapon; use of force causing serious bodily injury; and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury. There is also an enhancement that he personally inflicted great bodily injury.
The investigation showed that Clark had been trained on the proper use of the device and the dangers of using the device at a distance of less than 5 feet.
The Riverside County District Attorney's Office said Clark was arraigned Thursday.
Clark has been placed on administrative leave.
[Photo courtesy: Tom Bray, Press Enterprise]
inland empire news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 59 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds 34 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)