Inland Empire News
Norco prison closure may move jobs, but open other opportunities
NORCO, Calif. (KABC) -- The possible closure of a state prison in Norco is fanning fears that it may hurt the local economy. Some support the closure.
In years past, the Norconian resort was one of the grandest hotels around, complete with a golf course, man-made lake, and even a lakeside pavilion.
"It was fantastic," said Norco Mayor Kevin Bash. "Clark Gable came here, you had Gene Harlow, you had the Three Stooges. You name a movie star, they came here."
Today, however, convicts are the ones who stay on site. In the 1960s, the place was transformed into a prison. Now the state is considering selling it to save money.
Bash is excited about that prospect and the potential for renovation and redevelopment of the historic site.
"In essence, what you could create there is one of the great buildings of all time on a hill, overlooking a lake," Bash said.
If the state closes this prison, that means they're going to need to move a lot of those prisoners. If that happens, there are those who are concerned about the jobs that will be moving out of the city as well.
"We need to be keeping jobs and growing jobs, not losing them right now," said Norco resident Dean Guccione.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said the staff will be absorbed into other institutions in the department, perhaps to wherever the prisoners are sent. But that would mean 1,200 employees and their families might have to leave the area.
But Bash said the potential is incredible. He said imagine the prison replaced by townhomes, a civic center and another resort.
"It will be a huge boon to this community," he said.
Still, the earliest the state would close the prison is 2016, so it could be quite some time before the signs, guard towers and barbed-wire fences are replaced with something else.
riverside county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal 56 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Free admission offered to all national parks 22 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour