Inland Empire News
Bomb scare at Loma Linda Medical Center
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The emergency room at Loma Linda Medical Center was evacuated for about two hours on Thursday due to a suspicious device investigation.
A man in his 50s or 60s walked into the emergency room and told a nurse he had a bomb strapped on him at about 9 a.m. The nurse alerted security, which then contacted the sheriff's department.
"He did not make a scene. He simply walked in and during the initial intake process, he told the triage nurse that he had the explosive device on his person," said Cpl. David Clifford of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
The bomb squad moved the man on a gurney to a concrete parking structure south of the hospital. Authorities say the device was X-rayed to determine if it was an explosive.
Authorities said the man, who police are calling a victim, was being cooperative as a bomb squad examined him. The device was removed and rendered safe. Investigators say the device had no explosives.
The west side of the medical center, including the emergency room lobby, was evacuated during the investigation, and all new emergency patients were diverted to other area hospitals. Medical students taking a test in a nearby building where told to stay put. The hospital resumed normal operations at about 11 a.m.
The man was taken to another hospital for mental evaluation. There's no word if he'll be facing any charges.
suspicious object, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 11 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 57 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 2 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 59 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 20 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 37 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 13 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 54 min ago