Inland Empire News
Bomb scare at Loma Linda Medical Center
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The emergency room at Loma Linda Medical Center was evacuated for about two hours on Thursday due to a suspicious device investigation.
A man in his 50s or 60s walked into the emergency room and told a nurse he had a bomb strapped on him at about 9 a.m. The nurse alerted security, which then contacted the sheriff's department.
"He did not make a scene. He simply walked in and during the initial intake process, he told the triage nurse that he had the explosive device on his person," said Cpl. David Clifford of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
The bomb squad moved the man on a gurney to a concrete parking structure south of the hospital. Authorities say the device was X-rayed to determine if it was an explosive.
Authorities said the man, who police are calling a victim, was being cooperative as a bomb squad examined him. The device was removed and rendered safe. Investigators say the device had no explosives.
The west side of the medical center, including the emergency room lobby, was evacuated during the investigation, and all new emergency patients were diverted to other area hospitals. Medical students taking a test in a nearby building where told to stay put. The hospital resumed normal operations at about 11 a.m.
The man was taken to another hospital for mental evaluation. There's no word if he'll be facing any charges.
suspicious object, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 37 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home 56 min ago
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Beach Report Card rates Calif. water quality
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'