Inland Empire News
Bear busted stealing honey; finds new home
BIG BEAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A mischievous black bear is resting comfortably at his new home at the Big Bear Rescue Zoo after getting himself into a sticky situation. The bear's sweet tooth nearly cost him his life.
The bear from Northern California has been named Pooh Bear, which is appropriate considering what happened.
"Guess he got caught eating a bunch of honey, $8000 worth of honey," said Bill Young of Big Bear Lake. "Imagine that, a bear with honey."
But while Winnie the Pooh got attacked by the bees, this black bear ran into trouble with the beekeeper himself.
"He was going in and destroying some of the hives," said Debbie Richardson of the Big Bear Rescue Zoo.
With the help of the Department of Fish and Game, they trapped the bear, and it was possible he would have to be euthanized. But the Big Bear Rescue Zoo stepped forward to help, and Pooh Bear was transferred there on Friday morning.
"They say he's one of the nicest bears they've ever had there," Richardson said.
Pooh Bear is about 5 to 6 years old and weighs about 380 pounds. He was seen sleeping in his enclosure, and with all of the tranquilization, it's going to be a little while before he wakes up.
"He required a lot of sedation, as bears often do," said Lesley Castillo of the Big Bear Rescue Zoo. "They have a lot of fat."
san bernardino county, animal news, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors