Inland Empire News
IE veterans seek employment at Ontario job fair
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- While California's unemployment rate is trending downward, some unemployed veterans had the opportunity to re-enter the work force Friday at the Honor a Hero, Hire a Veteran job fair at in Ontario.
It's a task that can be difficult given the current state of the economy. The job market is still sluggish with last month's unemployment rate at 11.7 percent in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, a slight improvement from 13 percent a year ago.
But that didn't stop hundreds of veterans in search of their next career from packing the Ontario Convention Center.
"You need to look everywhere, anywhere, put in as many applications as you can and so it's really about volume now because of the job market," said Air Force veteran Michael Glenn.
The California Economic Development Department enlisted dozens of employers for the event.
"Our goal is to get as many veterans hired by the employers that are here, however we are open to the public," Don Froman with the EED.
When it comes to their skill set, veterans may have a leg up on their civil counterparts due in large part to their training in the military.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is one employer looking for a few good men and women to fill its ranks.
"The leadership, the ability to communicate with others and work well as a team, those concepts -- if you can bring them to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department -- they're great. You would be a great addition if you have those characteristics we are looking for," said Cpl. David Clifford.
And despite a tough economy, several veterans walked away from the job fair confident.
"I've been able to find a couple people that are interested in me today," said Air Force veteran Lloyd Navarro.
A mission accomplished.
economy, jobs, veterans, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks