Inland Empire News
Fontana fire under control but not contained
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters say they have control over an industrial fire in Fontana but the blaze is not expected to be fully contained until Monday.
Crews pulled an all-nighter battling the blaze, which broke out at a pallet yard on the 14000 block of Slover Avenue Friday.
At the height of the fire, explosions could be heard as flames ignited propane tanks.
The fire started at around 6 p.m. and quickly spread from the pallet yard to a trucking business next door. At one point, the blaze was so big that flames were shooting 80 feet into the air.
"You've got stacked pallets pretty high in the air. We have a breeze through here. Once one lights, it continues to travel through the pile and some of these piles as you can see behind me are pretty massive," said Capt. Shawn Millerick with the San Bernardino Fire Department.
Officials said three buildings at the pallet yard were damaged or destroyed. One firefighter was hurt, but he is expected to be OK.
The cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
fire, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning 51 min ago
- 14 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 56 min ago
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game 2 min ago
- Willie Nelson, Daft Punk to perform at Grammys 33 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis