Inland Empire News
Habitat for Humanity hands over keys to new home in Jurupa Valley
JURUPA VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Connie Olivarez waited six months to see her new home. On Tuesday, Habitat for Humanity Riverside handed her the keys to a home once considered unlivable.
"We went through a lot to try and get the home, but I am so happy. It's like a dream," Olivarez said.
It was a dream that seemed impossible after Olivarez's husband died of cancer, leaving her with three young children. Her daughter, Crystal Espinoza, said she remembers how her mother struggled to support them.
"She went out there working two jobs," Espinoza said. "She would get off at three o'clock and straight to another job at five. She would pick my brothers and I up from school and go back to work."
Last August, volunteers spent hours tearing the house apart. The property was considered an eyesore and magnet for crime. Now it's once again a home, thanks in large part to a $130,000 grant.
Habitat for Humanity was able to purchase 16 homes with a grant from Wells Fargo Bank, six of the homes purchased in the neighborhood alone, which were up for remodeling.
"We were chosen as the recipient of this market priority grant because we are focusing on the entire area which the impact of course is much higher than if you focus on one house," said Karen Roberts of Habitat for Humanity Riverside.
The organization targeted Jurupa Valley for its neighborhood revitalization program. Part of the initiative includes financial counseling for new homeowners.
Olivarez said the lessons she learned helped her clean up her credit and pay off debt.
housing market, charity, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 24 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 56 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 40 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 53 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
41 min ago