Inland Empire News
Arson suspected in string of dental office fires
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Four dental offices have gone up in flames in Fontana. Investigators are concerned an arsonist may be the cause. The most recent fire broke out Thursday morning.
It was the fourth dental office to be torched along Sierra Avenue since the beginning of April. Police and fire investigators say there are strong similarities that connect the fires.
"The starts were similar, I can say that in that a heavy object being thrown through glass and then gasoline introduced into the building," said Mike Horton, deputy fire marshal, San Bernardino County Fire Dept. "Those are the sorts of sets that we're coming across."
The first three fires happened around Easter. One office was damaged on April 7. It has now reopened. A few blocks away, two dental offices were severely damaged by fire around the same time.
One office is closed for repairs. The other is open but no one at the office wanted to talk on camera. Off-camera, employees said they're concerned for their own safety and the safety of their patients. One employee says it's making some of her co-workers nervous. They wonder, she says, if their office will be hit again.
According to the San Bernardino County Fire Department, a multi-agency task force that includes Inland Empire fire and police investigators is now helping out with the investigation.
Investigators say they don't have a description of who they're looking for. They say they still have to determine if they're dealing with one or more suspects.
"We don't have any suspect information at this time, but as that develops, we'll make that known," said Horton.
No one was injured in any of the four fires.
If you have information related to the fires, call the Arson Hotline at (800) 47-ARSON.
fire, inland empire news, sid garcia
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 26 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 54 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 26 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Pet of the week: 2-month-old Chihuahua-mix
14 min ago