Inland Empire News
Riverside cop killer Earl Ellis Green sentenced to death
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Earl Ellis Green, the parolee convicted of shooting and killing Riverside police Officer Ryan Bonaminio, was sentenced to death on Monday.
Monday morning, the defense asked the judge to consider a sentence of life without parole. That motion was denied.
The judge listened to several victim impact statements before handing down her sentence of the death penalty. Green will meet his fate at San Quentin.
As he did throughout the trial, Green showed no emotion during his sentencing. But he did show an occasional smile during breaks.
Bonaminio's mother, Gerri, was present for the sentencing. She said she hopes to be there the day Green is put to death because that will be a day that she smiles.
"The defendant cowardly and brutally took my son's life without cause and with hate. I will never forget, and I will never, ever forgive," she said between tears.
Green was convicted last month of murdering Bonaminio. Earlier this month, the jury recommended the death penalty for Green.
Bonaminio, an Iraq war veteran, tried to stop Green for a traffic violation in 2010. Green beat the officer with a steel pipe and then shot Bonaminio with the officer's own gun.
Bonaminio's family said the trial has reopened many wounds, but they are hoping Green's sentencing will help them move on.
officer-involved shooting, shooting, riverside county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 43 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 19 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
41 min ago