Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley double homicide shakes family, neighborhood
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman and her teenage son were shot to death in Moreno Valley on Friday, according to the victim's family. The woman's boyfriend has been taken into custody.
The sheriff's department responded to a report of someone brandishing a weapon at 4:44 a.m. Upon arrival, deputies found one victim dead inside the house on the 24000 block Of Myers Avenue. Another victim was taken to a local hospital and later died.
"All I know is, I got the phone call this morning that she was dead and had been shot, and I needed to come down here," said Sylvester Jones, the female victim's father.
Jones says he immediately drove to Moreno Valley from Las Vegas. He says the only thing police would confirm to him is that his daughter is dead, but he fears his grandson is the other person who was killed.
Neighbors reported hearing what sounded like gunshots in the early morning hours. Kevin Parish said he ran over to see what was going on.
"There was some girl screaming, 'I can't believe he killed my mom,'" he said.
Police have confirmed that the person responsible for the shooting is in custody. The suspect's name has not been released.
Neighbors are saddened and stunned.
"It makes me unsafe," said Alvaro Figueroa. "I'm about to have a child of my own, so I kind of don't want to be around here."
Streets in the area were shut down as the investigation continued. Anyone with information is urged to call the Riverside County Sheriff's Department at (951) 955-2777.
body found, riverside county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 7 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 33 min ago
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 52 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 14 min ago
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis