Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley double homicide shakes family, neighborhood
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman and her teenage son were shot to death in Moreno Valley on Friday, according to the victim's family. The woman's boyfriend has been taken into custody.
The sheriff's department responded to a report of someone brandishing a weapon at 4:44 a.m. Upon arrival, deputies found one victim dead inside the house on the 24000 block Of Myers Avenue. Another victim was taken to a local hospital and later died.
"All I know is, I got the phone call this morning that she was dead and had been shot, and I needed to come down here," said Sylvester Jones, the female victim's father.
Jones says he immediately drove to Moreno Valley from Las Vegas. He says the only thing police would confirm to him is that his daughter is dead, but he fears his grandson is the other person who was killed.
Neighbors reported hearing what sounded like gunshots in the early morning hours. Kevin Parish said he ran over to see what was going on.
"There was some girl screaming, 'I can't believe he killed my mom,'" he said.
Police have confirmed that the person responsible for the shooting is in custody. The suspect's name has not been released.
Neighbors are saddened and stunned.
"It makes me unsafe," said Alvaro Figueroa. "I'm about to have a child of my own, so I kind of don't want to be around here."
Streets in the area were shut down as the investigation continued. Anyone with information is urged to call the Riverside County Sheriff's Department at (951) 955-2777.
body found, riverside county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Crews search for survivors of Okla. tornado
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 25 min ago
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops 49 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula 40 min ago
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 46 min ago
- Former IRS chief knew little about targeting
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 22 min ago
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10