Inland Empire News
Fontana hazing case: Teen suspect kept in jail
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Fontana teen accused of sexually hazing his fellow high school classmates was hoping to get out of jail Monday. Instead, 18-year-old Fernando Salgado remains behind bars.
The defense asked a judge to release Salgado, saying the teen had no prior convictions and was not a flight risk. However, the judge denied the request and was only willing to reduce bail from $300,000 to $200,000.
Salgado's family was present in court. The bailiff warned the family they would be removed if there were any outbursts. The warning was in direct response to the teen's emotional outburst at an initial court appearance last month, during which Salgado cried out to his family when it was time to return to jail. Relatives were outraged at how deputies led him away in handcuffs.
Salgado is charged with attempted sodomy and false imprisonment stemming from an in-class incident at A.B. Miller High School in Fontana. Salgado's family said he was simply rough housing and is not guilty.
Salgado's mother would not comment upon leaving court Monday, but his sister, whose name was not given, spoke to ABC7 in her brother's defense.
"My brother should be free, he does not deserve this," she said. "He is doing fine, he just wants to come home." The sister would not answer if the family could come up with the lowered bail amount.
Salgado's preliminary hearing is set for next week.
arrest, sex crimes, sexual assault, school, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 36 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence 15 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 4 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 53 min ago
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...